QTC does it all!

Firearms Safety Courses To suite every category


So What Are
Queensland Training Centre’s Courses All About?

Well it’s simple, as a requirement for weapons licencing in Australia (and Queensland) you will need to undertake a firearms safety course before you are able to own, buy, store or shoot a weapon at a range or on a rural property.

Anyone in Queensland wishing to own or use a gun, crossbow, paintball gun, and even own certain types of knives, must have a valid weapons’ licence.

The most commonly held licence in Queensland is a general Category A, B & H ‘Firearms Licence’ which is suitable for the needs of farmers and sports and target shooters.

If you have a licence and want to buy a weapon, you must complete a ‘permit to acquire’. Only people with a valid weapons’ licence can complete this form.


Covering most single shot weapons, from air rifles to most pistols up to a 45. Calibre


Certification to use and own multi-shot, self loading rifles and shotguns


This category covers the use & ownership of a Crossbow for recreation & hunting


This covers everything from cartridge fed .50 Calibre firearms to machine guns

Types of Weapons Licences

The type of licence you need depends on the category of weapon you want to own or use, and what you want to use it for so you will need a firearms safety course to match your requirements.

FirearmsThe most commonly used general licence used by farmers and sports and target shooters.
Minor A restricted firearms licence for young people between the ages of 11 and17 which allows use of
weapons in certain circumstances,but not the acquisition of firearms.
VisitorFor people temporarily visiting Queensland with a firearm.
ArmourerRequired if you run a business for the storage, manufacture, modification or repair of weapons.
DealerRequired if you run a business buying or selling weapons.
Firearms InstructorRequired if you give firearms’ training on behalf of a Registered Training Organisation.
GroupAuthorises members of an organisation or employees of an organisation to possess and use weapons for the purpose stated on your licence e.g. members of a sports or target shooting club.
Blank-Fire FirearmIssued for the use of blank-fire firearms for use in the theatre or at sporting events.
Theatrical Ordnance SupplierRequired if you run a business supplying weapons on a temporary basis for use in theatre film or television productions.
Collector’s LicenceRequired by weapons collectors and permits the ownership of temporarily or permanently disabled weapons.
Miscellaneous WeaponsRequired for the use of body armour, crossbows and the possession of some knives.
Concealable FirearmsSpecifically for handguns.
Security (Guard)Required if you provide armed security services for the escort of valuables.
Security (Organisation). Required by businesses providing armed security services for the escort of valuables by licensed employees.

Category A○ Rimfire Rifles
○ Single or Double Barrel Shotguns
○ Paintball Guns
○ Air Rifles
○ Powerheads (a specialised weapon for use underwater).
Category B○ Centre-fire rifles (other than semi-automatic)
○ Shotgun/Rifle Combinations.
Category C○ Semi-Automatic or Pump Action Shotguns (capable of holding 5 rounds or less)
○ Semi-Automatic Rimfire Rifles
(capable of holding less than 10 rounds).
Category D○ Semi-Automatic Centre-Fire Rifles
○ Semi-Automatic Shotguns(capable of holding more than 5 rounds)
○ Semi-Automatic Rimfire Rifles (capable of holding more than 10 rounds).
Category E○ Bullet-Proof Vests
Category H○ Handguns
Category M○ Crossbows
○ Certain Knives
○ Other hand held weapons capable of causing bodily harm.
Category R○ Machine Guns
○ Fully automatic large calibre military weapons

How to apply for a Firearms Licence

The first thing is to be prepared. Gather all the information and documents you need before starting your application.

New licences require a passport quality photograph and supporting documentation, such as proof that you’ve completed a firearms safety training course within the last 12 months.

The documents you need to supply may be different depending on the type of licence you need.

Apply Online

You can apply for a weapons licence online. You can either upload and attach the necessary documentation or send them separately by post.

You can pay using credit/debit Mastercard or Visa.

Permit To Acquire (PTA)

Once you either have or have applied for a weapons’ licence, you can apply for a permit to acquire (PTA) a weapon. You must be over 18 years of age to apply for a permit to acquire, so a ‘Minors’ firearms licence is not accepted for PTA applications. Minors are not allowed to buy weapons in Queensland. As with a gun licence, you can either apply online or at your local police station There is a mandatory waiting period for a PTA of 28 days from the date the application is lodged.

Apply At Your Local Police Station

You can also apply for a licence using a paper application form. You will need to complete the form and take it to your local police station with the required documentation and payment.

Changing Your Address

If you have a weapons’ licence, you need to let the police know if you change your home or weapons storage address within 14 days of the change. You can do this using the online change of address form if you have a current email address.

Renewing, Surrendering, Amending or Cancelling Your Licence

You can register new weapons to your licence but you may have to pay a one-off fee for each firearm. You need to let the police know if your circumstances change (e.g. you change your name or address) within 14 days of the change. Click the Button below to find out who to contact if your circumstances change, you lose your licence, or you need to renew, give up or cancel your licence.